Memorial Day Parade
2020 Memorial Day Parade and events have been cancelled due to COVID-19
Held annually on Memorial Day beginning at 11:00am at the MI State Police Post and concluding at the Wayland VFW Post #7581. Parade line up begins at 10:00am. BBQ Lunch served at the VFW at the conclusion of the parade. City Police parade rules are enforced and should be reviewed prior to participation. Parade rules can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
All are invited to Wayland’s VFW Annual Memorial Day events scheduled for Monday, May 27th. Veterans are needed for cemetery honors and parade participation. The bus for the cemetery honors will depart at 7:30am from the Wayland VFW. The cemetery schedule is:
8:50am: Native American
9:45am: St. Cyrils & Methodias
As always, we ask that trucks/semis refrain from blowing horns and sirens throughout the parade duration.
Beginning at 11:00am is the Annual Memorial Day Parade beginning at the MI State Police Post and concluding at the Wayland VFW Post 7581. For parade details and City Police parade rules, please view https://www.waylandchamber.org/eventscommunity. At the parade conclusion, the public is invited to the VFW to enjoy the BBQ. Cash/Check ONLY for the luncheon.
If you are able to participate for the cemetery honors, would like to volunteer at the luncheon, or have any questions, please contact the Wayland VFW Post #7581 at 269-792-2975 (after 4:00pm)
Held on the first Saturday (immediately following the first Friday in December) is the Annual Christmas Parade beginning at 11:00am. Parade line up begins at 10:00am at the Wayland VFW Post #7581 and concludes at the Wayland Fire Department. Visits with Santa will take place at the WFD immediately following the parade. Non-profits are eligible to win a cash prize for decorating according to the parade theme (announced in October). City Police parade rules are enforced and should be reviewed prior to participation. Parade rules can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
Chamber’s Annual Christmas Parade & Santa Visits!
Presenting: Our 2019 Grand Marshals Lindy & Eva Anderson
On Saturday, December 7th, the Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce will be hosting Wayland’s Annual Christmas Parade. The parade will begin at 11:00am at the Wayland VFW Post 7581 located at 735 S Main Street. The parade will proceed North on Main, then go West on Superior. The parade will conclude at the Wayland Fire Station, 160 W Superior. Visits with Santa will take place at the fire department after the parade. Please bring a camera for pictures with Santa.
This year, the parade theme is Christmas Wonderland which allows those entering the parade to decorate accordingly. It is not required to decorate to the theme, but it is required to be included in theme judging. Cash prizes are awarded for the top three participants who decorate according to the theme (“For Profit” businesses are not eligible for cash awards but are eligible for the Best Theme Entry Plaque for “For Profit” businesses). Please note that the Wayland Area Chamber of Commerce provides Santa Claus for the parade so it is requested that all other parade entries do not use another Santa in their displays. This will avoid potential confusion for the children.
Interested in taking part in the parade?
For parade participants, vehicle line up begins at 10:00am and walkers line up at 10:30. Parade rules can be found on the chamber website www.waylandchamber.org on the Community Events page.
Warm Clothing and Non-Perishable Food WANTED!
The Wayland Boy Scout Troop 97 is encouraging parade spectators to bring non-perishable food items or gently used or new coats, gloves, scarfs, boots, and hats. There will be many Boy Scouts walking in the parade picking up these items along the route. Items can be handed to the Scouts as the walk by. All items will go to help local families in need.
MANY thanks and our sincerest gratitude to our 2019 Christmas Event Sponsors: Biggby Coffee of Wayland, MI, Booth-Hilaski Grevenstuk Insurance Agency, LLC, Friends of the Henika District Library, Bruce Sexton, DDS, RT Stitchcrafts Embroidery & Screen Printing and Salvino’s Ristorante. We Appreciate YOU!!!
City Police Parade Rules are as follows:
– Nothing shall be thrown from any moving vehicle. Handing out candy or other objects is permitted by walkers only.
– All dogs in the parade must be kept on leashes and held by someone strong enough to handle them.
– All animals participating in the parade must be kept under control.
– Four wheelers, all-terrain vehicles, and mini-racers are prohibited except in certain conditions that are approved by the Wayland City Police Department.
– A parade entrant which operates a vehicle or other equipment in such a way that can be dangerous (burn outs, careless/reckless driving) to spectators or other parade participants will be removed from the parade and possibly cited.
– The parade route is one-way. No parade entrant may reverse direction.
– Participants on bikes, scooters, skateboards, skates, etc. must wear a helmet and proper safety equipment.
– No one may step off a vehicle, float, or any other moving piece of equipment during the parade except in an emergency. Float riders must be completely on the float with no legs or other parts of the body hanging over the sides of the float.